Zucchini slice is such a well known and loved recipe. I doubt this is a new to most of you, but I have added it here to the blog in case you are yet to try it in the Thermo or are looking for a slightly different version.
This recipe with feta and sun-dried tomato is a bit of a change from the usual bacon and onion combination. The feta gives it a nice texture and slightly salty contrast to the sweetness of the tomatoes. If you don’t like sun-dried tomatoes you can substitute them for fresh, or leave them off altogether, and it will still taste great (one of my daughters does not like tomato so I always make this with a ‘tomato-free’ section on the corner!) Use fresh herbs if you have them, you can really taste the difference. I usually grab a handful of parsley from the garden but you could try other herbs such as basil or chives, just use whatever you have.
This is great for lunch on a weekend, dinner (with a salad), or sometimes I make it and freeze in slices for lunchboxes. Very versatile and good for when you are after a meat-free option.
If you don’t have a Thermomix you can prepare this using a food processor or by grating the ingredients by hand. The Thermomix just makes the whole process a whole lot quicker!
- 100g cheddar cheese
- Handful of fresh parsley
- 1 large zucchini, washed, ends cut off, cut into large chunks (don't peel)
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- 100g feta
- 160g self raising flour
- 50g light flavoured oil (I use sunflower)
- 5 eggs
- Sun-dried tomatoes (optional)
- Pre heat oven to 180 degrees and grease a large baking dish (mine is 30cm x 20cm)
- Grate cheddar cheese speed 6 for 6 seconds.
- Remove and set aside.
- Add onion, zucchini and parsley to the bowl and chop 5 seconds speed 5.
- Add the flour and grated cheese with oil and eggs to the bowl and combine together 5 seconds, reverse speed 5-6.
- Pour the mixture into prepared baking dish and crumble the feta over the top. Add thinly sliced sun-dried tomatoes if you like also.
- Bake at 180 degrees for 40 minutes until golden brown on top and the mixture is set (check to see if it wobbles)