This is not a Thermomix recipe, but boy oh boy, it is a good recipe! If you have not heard of pulled pork before it is a way of cooking and eating pork shoulder, whereby the pork is seasoned, slow cooked, then shredded (pulled apart) and mixed with more yummy sauce and seasoning before serving. It is absolutely delicious.
You need a slow cooker to make this. I love cooking with a slow cooker, it the second most used appliance in our kitchen (after the Thermomix of course). I have had the same one for years, it is an el’ cheapo model that sports a few dents and scratches on the outer shell, but it just keeps on going. I love it for preparing tender meat, and also for the ability to prepare meals ahead. Mine is just a 4.5L model, sometimes I wish for a larger capacity bowl; when I am cooking this and corned beef it would good to be able to fit larger cuts of meat in. But for making ragu or stewed meats it is just perfect.
Anyhow, enough about the slow cooker, more about the pork! This is my favourite way to eat pork, I am not a pork chop kind of girl, I do like pork roast, but this is even better. And it extends such a long way. Once the pork is shredded it serves a crowd. And you can use the leftovers to create yummy salads, nachos, or pork sliders the next day. I have also frozen the leftovers and then used the pork as pizza topping at a later date.
We enjoy this with salads (coleslaw is perfect), salsa, beans, apple sauce, pita bread, or tortillas. I present it as a ‘help yourself ‘ style meal; meat, salad, breads (or corn chips) all in the middle of the table and tuck in!
So what are you waiting for? Go and get yourself some pork, drag the slow cooker out of the cupboard and give this a go. You won’t regret it – promise!
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1.5kg (or thereabouts) pork shoulder (you can use rolled shoulder also)
- ½ cup barbecue sauce (optional)
- Place the onions and garlic in the bottom of the slow cooker and pour in the stock.
- Combine the sugar, spices and salt together in a small bowl. Pat the pork dry with paper towels, remove the string (if it is a rolled shoulder) and rub the spice mixture all over the pork.
- Pace the meat on top of the onions and garlic. Put the lid on the slow cooker and cook 6 to 8 hours on high or 8 to 10 hours on low.
- Once cooked, remove the pork and trim off the fat (discard). Strain the most of the liquid from the slow cooker into a bowl, and keep it aside. Don't tip it down the sink! Skim the fat off the top of the liquid.
- Keep the onion and solids and add back to the bowl.
- Using two forks pull the meat apart, shred it into pieces, add the pork back to the bowl with the barbeque sauce (if you are using it) and ½ cup of the reserved cooking liquid.
- If you don't want to add barbeque sauce use 1 cup of cooking liquid.
- Mix the meat and sauces together and then serve.