San Choy Bau
Recipe type: Chicken & Pork
Serves: 4 adults
- 500g mince (pork or chicken is best but we sometimes use beef)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2cm piece of ginger
- 50g (1/4 cup) peanuts
- 2 celery stalks
- Can water chestnuts. Drained (the ones I buy are 227g)
- 1 Iceberg lettuce
- 30g oyster sauce
- 15g soy sauce
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 2 carrots, peeled, cut into chunks
- 100g mushrooms roughly chopped
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Place the peanuts in the Thermomix bowl and dry roast, Varoma, 5 minutes, Spoon Soft. Once cooked chop 3-5 seconds, speed 7. Place to one side.
- While the peanuts are cooking break the lettuce into leaves, wash, pat dry and put in the fridge.
- Place carrots, celery and water chestnuts into bowl and chop 3-5 seconds, speed 7. Remove from bowl and set aside. Don’t overprocess them - they need to be a bit chunky. NOTE: If you prefer your water chestnuts as larger pieces leave them out of this step and chop roughly by hand to add in later.
- Put onion, garlic and ginger into bowl (no need to rinse in between) and chop 7 seconds, speed 7. After chopping sauté with olive oil at 100 degrees, 2 minutes, Reverse, Spoon Soft.
- Add mince to onion mix and cook Varoma, 10 minutes, Reverse, Spoon Soft.
- Add sauces and carrot/celery mix. Cook Varoma, 5 minutes, Reverse, Spoon Soft.
- Add sesame oil, bean shoots and mushrooms (and water chestnuts if you omitted them at step 3) cook Varoma, 3 minutes, Reverse, Spoon Soft.