Rhubarb and apple are a match made in heaven. Add custard to the flavour mix and….yum!
These are delicious warm or cool. If eaten warm add some more rhubarb on the top to serve.
As a variation I have also made these with a small teaspoon of cooked rhubarb dolloped on the top of the batter before cooking – this adds an extra hit of rhubarb tang, delicious!
- 100g butter
- 280g SR flour
- 40g custard powder
- 80g raw sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or essence
- 220g milk
- 150g (1/2 cup) stewed rhubarb (see below)
- 2 apples
- Stewing the Rhubarb: Chop 400g rhubarb into 5cm chunks and put into Thermomix bowl with 50g sugar and 30g water. Cook 100 degrees, 7 min, Reverse, Spoon Soft. Check often to see how it is going. It can turn to mush quickly! I like it with a few lumps left in. This makes a lot more than what the recipe needs, but it is worth cooking a full quantity and then you can use the leftover for pie, crumble or on top of the cooked muffins.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Line a 12 hole muffin pan with paper cases.
- Peel and dice apples into small chunks
- Place butter in the bowl (no need to rinse out after the rhubarb has cooked).
- Melt 90 degrees, 2 minutes, speed 1.
- Add all other ingredients to butter except rhubarb and apple. Mix 30 seconds, speed 4-5.
- Add rhubarb and apple and mix 10-15 seconds, speed 1-2, using spatula to combine.
- Spoon into muffin cases and bake 15-20 minutes until golden brown.