There is nothing fancy about pikelets but they sure do taste great. I am sure most of you have made them at least once before. They are great for feeding little tummies
This is the recipe my mum has used forever, she gave it to me, and I have used it forever! If you have time let the batter sit in the fridge for a while before you cook them, this makes the batter a bit thicker and the pikelets turn out a bit fluffier.
They freeze really well too (if you can save some!) just separate them with layers of baking paper or they will stick together in a pikelet block!
- 150g SR flour
- 1 egg
- 30g (2 Tbsp) sugar
- 180g milk (or buttermilk is even better if you have some)
- ½ tsp baking powder
- Butter for cooking
- Place all ingredients (except butter) into the Tmx bowl and mix speed 5, 30 seconds. You might need to scrape the sides down after 15 seconds.
- Heat a frypan on low to medium heat on cooktop.
- Melt a teaspoon of butter and place tablespoons of batter into the pan, once the batter starts to bubble turn it over and cook the other side. When the second side is golden brown remove from the frypan.
- Continue until all of the batter is used up. I can fit 4-5 at a time into my pan.
- These freeze really well. the mixture can be doubled.