As with most slow cooker recipes, the process for this tasty casserole is simple; add all ingredients, set to cook, enjoy your day in the smug and comforting knowledge that dinner is taken care of, come back 6-8 hours later, and eat and enjoy!
I have to admit I am not a huge fan of lamb as a cut of meat. But slow cooked in this recipe I really enjoy it.
The lovely combination of spices and dried fruit adds great flavour to this meal, this is certainly not a boring ‘meat stew’ recipe!
If you are slow cooker purist you could brown the meat in a fry pan before adding it to the rest of the ingredients. I am usually too lazy (or in too much of hurry) to add this step in. But if you like your meat a bit browner looking feel free to add this step in at the start of this recipe.
We serve this with cous cous and natural yoghurt, with some steamed vegetables on the side.
- 1 onion
- 1 clove garlic (crushed)
- 400g diced lamb
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground Cinnamon
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup dried dates, seeds removed, chopped roughly
- ¼ cup dried apricots, roughly chopped
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp Tmx vegetable stock paste or 2 stock cubes
- Juice of one lime
- 300g tin chick peas, rinsed and drained
- Add all ingredients except chick peas to your slow cooker bowl and stir well to combine.
- Set temperature to low and cook for 6-8 hours.
- One hour before the end of the cooking time add the drained chick peas and stir through.