This is a bit of a retro recipe, but it is a favourite in our house as my husband’s mother used to make it often, we think of her when we share this meal. We have used her recipe but adapted it for the Thermo. It is quick to prepare and a winner with the kids thanks to the sweet flavour of the sauce! We serve with a side of steamed vegetables.
The chicken is pan fried separately to the sauce, so get the sauce cooking and fry the chicken while the Thermo does the work for you cooking and stirring the sauce. I always cook rice first when making this (and keep it warm in the Thermoserver), so the meal is ready to serve as soon as the chicken is cooked.
Do you have a favourite retro recipe?
- 35g cornflour
- 45g sugar
- 500g water
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 2 chicken stock cubes or 2 Tbsp of Tmx vegetable stock concentrate
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 3cm fresh ginger, peeled
- 500 - 600g chicken, chopped into bite sized pieces - use breast or thighs (depending on your personal preference) The sauce cooks separately to the chicken in this recipe so you can increase the quantity of chicken if you have a larger family.
- Flour for coating chicken
- Cut the chicken into bite sized pieces, coat in flour and set aside.
- Place ginger into the Tmx bowl and and chop speed 7, for 2-3 seconds.
- Add cornflour, sugar, water and lemon juice and cook at 100 degrees, speed 4-5 for 5 minutes.
- Add the stock and soy and cook for a further 10 minutes, at 100 degrees, speed 4-5.
- While the sauce is cooking fry the chicken in a small amount of butter or oil in a frying pan.
- Once the sauce and chicken are cooked serve the chicken on rice with the sauce poured over the top.