I was inspired to create this recipe when I was having one of those evenings when I was home after work for a brief window, then had to go out for kids sports training, and knew I would be back late. You know those evenings? We have them quite often here 😉 This fits the criteria of being able to be mostly prepared early and then just put in the oven when you walk in the door late.
And it tastes so good. A complete hit with the discerning taste testers in the house of Chaos. If preparing in advance, make the sauce and put in the fridge, then make meatballs, shape and place in the dish and pop in the fridge too. When you are ready to cook just put the balls in the oven, and add the sauce with ten minutes to go. You might just need to heat the sauce slightly in the microwave or back in the Thermomix, so it pours easily.
We have this with rice, and salad or vegetables. I like to use chicken mince for this, but you could use beef mince too.
- 2 cloves garlic
- 50g tomato paste
- 90g honey
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp oyster sauce
- 500g mince (I like to use chicken mince for this, but you can use beef also)
- 1 egg
- 40g (1/2 cup) breadcrumbs
- 1 small onion
- 50g milk
- 1 tsp salt
- Sesame seeds - optional
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees
- Peel garlic and place into Tmx bowl, chop speed speed 7, 2-3 seconds.
- Add all other sauce ingredients and cook Varoma temperature, speed 1-2, 5 minutes.
- Remove the sauce from the bowl and set aside. Don't clean the bowl.
- Add onion to Tmx bowl and chop speed 5, 5 seconds.
- Add all other ingredients and combine reverse speed 3-4, 20 seconds.
- Shape into walnut sized balls and place into a greased casserole dish.
- Cook meatballs for 20 minutes, then remove from the oven, pour the sauce over the meatballs (and sprinkle with sesame seeds - optional) then place back into the oven to cook for a further 10 minutes.