This is such a tasty meal, and lovely to eat on a warm summer day when you really don’t feel like facing a plate of steaming hot food for dinner.
It does not take too long to prepare, once you have the chicken and sweet potato cooking you can go and do a few other things and then come back to assemble it all.
Last time I made this my local shop had run out of bocconcini (how rude!) so I substituted with mozzarella instead that I just tore into small pieces.
When preparing I suggest you follow the steps in the order I have listed, so it all comes together at the same time at the end. So get the sweet potato into the oven first, then set the chicken to steam. Then do the dressing and shred the chicken, by which time the sweet potato should be done.
If you have any leftover chicken you can save it for sandwich fillings or freeze for later. Any leftover dressing can be kept in the fridge to use on other salads. It tastes lovely and can be easily used to flavour other types of salads.
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 2 cloves garlic
- Bag of baby spinach leaves
- 1 large sweet potato
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 220g tub baby bocconcini
- Punnet of cherry tomatoes
- Pine nuts to taste
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp seeded mustard
- ⅓ cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup olive oil
- Turn on the oven to 220 degrees.
- Peel and dice the sweet potato into small cubes. Drizzle with olive oil, balsamic vinegar and salt and pepper.
- Place in oven and cook for 25 minutes or until soft and slightly caramelized on the edges.
- While the sweet potato is cooking prepare the chicken.
- Cut the chicken breasts in half on the horizontal plane. So you get four large thinner pieces of chicken.
- Place them in to the top tray of the Varoma.
- Fill the water level in the bowl to 1L and add garlic cloves to the water.
- Set Tmx to steam at Varoma temp, 25 minutes, speed 2.
- Once cooked remove the tray and set aside. Wash the bowl, then make the dressing.
- Decant the dressing into a jug and without washing the bowl add the chicken back in and shred on reverse, speed 4 for 4-5 seconds.
- Add all dressing ingredients to the bowl and mix speed 7-8 for 10 seconds.
- Arrange a layer of spinach leaves on each serving plate, add shredded chicken, bocconcini (torn in half), warm sweet potato, cherry tomatoes (halved) to each serve and sprinkle with pine nuts.
- Drizzle dressing over salad and enjoy!