This is one of those recipes that you really have to taste to appreciate – because (lets face it) it’s hard to make a dish like this look glamorous in a photo! Trust me though – it tastes lovely. I have been making this for years and it always gets eaten up, no complaints from anyone. And it is a good weeknight meal as it doesn’t take long to prepare.
I use store purchased sundried tomoto pesto for this, usually the Leggo brand. You don’t need the whole jar so use the leftover on pizza, bruschetta, to stir through pasta, add to casseroles or freeze for later.
You can make tomato pesto in the Thermomix, I have not tried yet though – but perhaps I should give it a go soon.
In pre-thermo days I made this in a heavy based pan (I have a wonderful large le creuset that is just perfect for dishes like this). To cook on the stove top fry off the rice and onion with the spices, then add the rest of the ingredients and cook (stirring) for 15 minutes until the rice has absorbed the liquid and the chicken is cooked through.
- 1 onion
- ⅔ cup arborio rice
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 20g oil
- 2 chicken stock cubes (or 1 large tablespoon of Thermo vegie stock paste)
- 500g water
- 2 chicken breasts - diced
- 75g sundried tomato pesto
- 100g frozen corn
- 100g frozen peas
- 250g button mushrooms quartered
- Add onion to Tmx bowl and chop speed 5, 5 seconds
- Add the rice, spices and oil, cook 2 minutes, 100 degrees, speed 1.
- Add all other ingredients and cook 100 degrees, 25 minutes, reverse speed 1.