This recipe was originally from my mother-in-law. She was an amazing cook, and I was very fortunate to be given many of her favourite recipes over the years. I think of her when I cook this.
This was not a Thermomix recipe originally, I have adapted it.
You can substitute the wine for chicken stock but I suggest that you use wine if you can (open a nice bottle and drink the rest with the meal;)) The combination of the wine and the oregano really does make this very flavoursome. And don’t be worried that the meat sauce has a lot of liquid, this is normal and the liquid soaks into the lasagne sheets making them super soft and tasty.
- 1 large onion (or two small) Peeled and quartered
- 15g olive oil
- 500g mushrooms, sliced
- 125g white wine (or chicken stock)
- 2 Tbsp chopped oregano - fresh is best but dried will work too
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into 4-5cm cubes
- 375g lasagne sheets. Dried are fine, but fresh are great.
- 500ml milk
- 45g butter
- 40g plain flour
- 1 Tbsp seeded mustard
- 100g cheese (cut into rough cubes)
- Chop onion speed 5. 3 seconds
- Add oil to onion and saute 100 degrees, 2 minutes, speed 1
- Add chicken, wine and oregano to onion and cook Varoma temperature, 20 minutes, reverse speed soft.
- Add sliced mushrooms to the bowl and use spatula to combine by hand. Remove and set aside in the fridge.
- Don't clean the bowl.
- Place cheese into the bowl and grate, speed 8, 6 seconds.
- Add butter, milk, mustard and flour, cook 90 degrees, 7 minutes, speed 4.
- Turn the oven on to preheat at 180 degrees.
- Grease a large casserole or lasagne dish and alternate layers of lasagne sheets, chicken mixture and cheese sauce. Finish with a layer of cheese sauce - you can top with extra grated cheese if you like.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until golden brown on top.