In pre-Thermo days I made cheats fudge many times (using a melt in the microwave technique) But let me tell you – cooking it this way is so much better!
It creates such a perfect texture and taste – very decadent and delicious. It is very rich and very sugary, so small portions are strongly advised! Don’t be tempted to cut them in to larger squares than suggested in the recipe, the small serving size is ample.
This freezes really well which is good if you want to make in advance. I would like to be able to tell you that having it stored in frozen form also acts as a deterrent from eating too much, but I have found that you can actually eat it almost straight from the freezer (my husband actually claims it tastes better that way!)
The base recipe below is very similar to quite a few that are floating about on the internet, I adapted my fudge by adding toppings.
I made one batch and roughly divided the tray into thirds and used three different flavours to top it before cutting:
Chopped Turkish Delight
Chopped Peppermint Crisp
I chose to push the toppings into the top of the fudge, but if you wanted to mix them through you would obviously have to do that before pouring into the tray.
Experiment to suit you own taste and preferred style of presentation. You could use any type of nuts (hazelnuts would be nice), cherries, coconut, other candy/lolly style toppings, or just leave it plain.
- 200g chocolate (I use chocolate melts)
- 200g sugar
- 1 395g can sweetened condensed milk
- 125g butter
- 25g glucose syrup (I used Agave syrup)
- Line a 25cm square baking tray with baking paper (extend up the sides for easy removal)
- Blitz the chocolate at speed 9, 10 seconds. Remove from the bowl.
- Mill the sugar speed 9, 10 seconds
- Add condensed milk, butter and glucose syrup to sugar and cook at 100 degrees, speed 3, 8 minutes.
- Then increase temperature to Varoma and cook for a further 20 minutes at speed 3 (MC off)
- Add chocolate back the mixture and stir through for 30 seconds speed 4. If you are adding nuts or cherries or something like that you would like combined through the whole mixture - add at this stage and mix through by hand with a spatula.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin. If you are adding flavours by topping with extra ingredients (chopped nuts, peppermint bar, Turkish delight, Matlesers etc) then press them into the top of the mixture.
- Refrigerate to set. Cut into 2cm squares to serve or gift.