I don’t make this every time I ice a cake, it is reserved mainly for birthday cakes and special occasions.
This is the recipe that I have used for many years, adapted from the wonderful Women’s Weekly birthday cake books. I used to make it in my bench top mixer; which did a great job, but took a long time. The Thermomix also does a great job and makes the process a lot quicker. The recipe makes a large batch – enough to cover two regular sized cakes or one large birthday cake. You can easily halve the recipe if you don’t need quite so much icing!
It really does make a cake extra special when you ice with buttercream. It tastes so good (I have a lot of trouble resisting the urge to lick the bowl when I make this).
- 250g butter (at room temperature)
- 300g (3 cups) icing sugar
- 4 Tbsp milk
- Add butter to the Tmx bowl and beat speed 5, 1 minute, scrape the sides of the bowl down.
- Add butterfly to the bowl and beat for a further 30 seconds at speed 4..
- Add icing sugar and milk and beat, speed 4, 2 minutes. Stop and scrape down the sides of the bowl at least twice during this two minutes.
- To colour the icing use a toothpick to dip the colour in, go slowly, and mix between additions of colour.