Black beans are also known as black eyed peas. They have a lovely dense creamy texture when cooked and they are full of protein, fibre and low in fat.
Often they are cooked in hot dishes such as soups and Mexican style stews and hot pots. But they are a great addition to salad too. Their protein content turns a salad into a meal in one!
Previous to making this recipe we had not cooked them in the Thermo, so we decided to give it a go. It was (of course) very easy. The cooking time is about the same as using a stove top method but of course the advantage of using the Thermo is that you can walk away and do other things without having to worry that anything needs stirring or is going to boil over.
We prepared the beans to soak in the morning, left them all day, then cooked in the afternoon when we got home from work. The dressing is also prepared in the Thermo but the rest of the salad is chopped by hand. Simple, tasty and good looking! The colour of the beans looks great against the other salad ingredients. This would be a nice salad to prepare for a shared gathering.
We had ours as a side salad with a BBQ at home and enjoyed the leftovers for lunch the next day.
- 1 cup (170g) black beans
- Water for soaking
- 400g water for cooking
- 1 420g tin corn kernels
- 1 avocado peeled and diced
- 1 red capsicum diced
- 3 tomatoes, diced
- 4 spring onions sliced
- handful of fresh coriander
- Juice of one lime
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- Place the beans into a bowl (or Thermoserver) and cover with water. Leave to soak for at least 6 hours.
- Strain the water off and then tip the beans into the steaming basket (the rice basket). Pour 400g water into the Tmx and set to cook for 90 degrees, 1 hour, speed 2-3. Check to see that they are tender at the end of the cooking time and cook for longer if needed.
- Remove and tip the beans into the salad bowl.
- While the beans are cooking prepare the rest of salad ingredients by dicing the and chopping the tomatoes, onions, capsicum, coriander and strain the corn. Add to salad bowl.
- Place garlic in Tmx and chop speed 7, 2-3 seconds.
- Add the rest of the dressing ingredients and mix speed 5 for 2-3 seconds until combined.
- Pour the dressing over the salad, stir through and serve